How To Have A Good Reputation Online
Internet has helped our lives in many ways, it helped us communicate with our friends and relatives living in different countries across the globe. It also helped us in educational purposes such as preparing for our exams by reading notes regarding that topic online. But on the other hand internet can also ruin your reputation if you don’t care about it.
Why should you care about your online reputation?
Your online reputation helps you in a couple of ways such as:
- It increases the rate of getting a job for which you recently applied because the employer will want to know about your activities other than studying. Most probably he will google your name and watch out for search results related to you. If your online reputation is not good then that will ruin your image in his mind and probably you wont get the job but if your online reputation is good then this will create a good impression about you in his mind and he will select your for the job you applied for.
- Online reputation also helps in your relationship with your family, your girlfriend, your wife or the people in your society because if they are curious to know about your activities outside your home or activities which they don’t know about then they will search about you on the internet. Now if they get bad results about you then that will surely hurt your relationship but if they get good results then that will assure them that you are really a good person.
Since now you know the importance of online reputation then here are some tips that will help you keep a good online reputation:
- Create profiles on different social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Google Plus, Flicker, Instagram etc and participate in healthy discussion with different people and share some news or photos with people.
- Make sure your content is only visible to those whom you want it to be visible to. For example if you want to protect your content on Facebook then Log In to your Facebook profile and click on “Account” on top right corner of the page. Then click on “Privacy Settings” and a page will appear. On that page under the heading “Control Privacy When You Post” click on “Custom” from the three options and select whom you want your content to be visible to.
- Contribute articles to other websites or blogs and if they publish it they will probably give you the credit for it. This will increase your online reputation because when someone searches about you on the internet he or she will probably come across that search result where you will be credited for that specific article and this will make a good image about you in that person’s mind.
- Get a domain of your own name and start a blog where you can share your views about certain topics. Once you have started blogging then you should create relationships with other bloggers and give credit to each other for some things you have learned from each other and you published it on your blog. This is will help a lot in increasing your online reputation because when someone searches your name on the internet then among the first 5 results he will get your blog address which has been named after you while the other results may include the blogs in which others have given you credits.
Follow these steps and they may help you in getting a good online reputation. If you have any questions regarding this topic then you can ask us in the comment section below.